31 Jul Turn Shipping Containers into Park Homes
Want to Know More about Turning Shipping Containers into Park Homes?
One of the greatest features of humankind is our ability to think creatively and come up with innovative solutions to challenges. This includes our ability to repurpose objects for different uses than their intended function, such as converting shipping containers into park homes. The practice of converting these containers into park homes is certainly not a new concept. It’s something that has been applied as both a solution for affordable housing, as well as craft projects for high-end novelty accommodation, and everything in-between.
However, before you jump on the bandwagon, it’s important to have a better understanding of what it takes to convert shipping containers into park homes. It’s not such a simple job that you can tackle it on your own with the tools in your garage one Saturday afternoon if you do not have prior experience in this field.
5 Important Things to Remember when Converting Shipping Containers Into Park Homes
- Check local building regulations: You can’t simply start erecting structures and think it’s legal simply because it’s not a brick structure. Research what permissions are necessary and make sure you have these before investing in a shipping container.
- Don’t forget the insulation: You can’t just cut some holes for windows on the side and put some furniture in a metal box to start living there. Insulation is important, especially given the harsh African sun and extreme heat in our country.
- Research the container you’re planning to buy: Not all containers are the same quality or the same size, so do not assume what you see in a picture is what you have in mind. Also, inspect the container before you purchase to make sure it is of acceptable quality. If the metal is deteriorating, it might not be suitable for conversion.
- Make sure you have a clear plan that you will stick to: Changing plans during the course of the project is one of the main reasons for time and budget overruns.
- Watch where you cut: Cutting steel out of a container costs both time and money, as you have to pay someone to do it and reinforce the areas where it’s been cut. Plan this carefully and budget accordingly.
Where to Get Quality Shipping Containers for Park Homes
Absolute Containers is a leading supplier of quality shipping containers. What’s more, we can also take the stress and hassle out of your conversion project for you, as we’re also leaders in executing the actual conversion of shipping containers into park homes. Get in touch with us for more information.